Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Better Overhead

Well, I must say that I'm very pleased with my new thing-at-the-top-of-the-page there. The thing with Ronald Knox's eyes staring out from it, I mean. The sketch (of RK's eyes), actually, is my own handiwork from ages ago, but everything else is my wife's: the proficiency with the myriad different softwares required to scan the image, crop and enlarge the eyes (and give them that lovely sepia tone wash), put in and fiddle with the text so's that it's all nice and balanced and eye-catching (without being eye-bashing); and the code-savvy to actually insert it (centred and everything!) onto the site. Very impressive stuff, and it totally makes-up for her tone deafness.

Also, you'll notice that the link colours have been changed to hues a little less obnoxious than what Blogger had them set for. But there are two things I can't bring myself to change: the orange of the post titles, and the page colour. The Ambler has warned me that "the scalding white background" is exhausting to readers, but I just can't get rid of it ... Likely, it's something to do with the fact that for those of us who are unlikely ever to find their words printed on real, actual paper, a digitally white page has a marvelously consoling effect.

... And failing the popularity of EMG, I can always use my title bar to brand a fashionable new coffee. Of course, Knox's eyes would have to be replaced with a more relevant set. Juan Valdez's.